How to Register an Imported Car to Sweden

This post is also available in: Norwegian Bokmål Danish Finnish Swedish Estonian Latvian Lithuanian Hindi Arabic Chinese (Simplified) French German Japanese Polish Russian Spanish Hungarian Thai Ukrainian Vietnamese

If you are an expat and you want to register an imported car, there are a few things you need to know. First, you will need to obtain a carnet de passage en douane, which is a certificate of temporary importation. This can be obtained from your local Chamber of Commerce in Sweden.

Once you have the carnet, you will need to take it to the Bureau of Customs and have the car inspected. The inspection will include a visual inspection of the vehicle as well as a VIN verification.

After the inspection, you will need to pay import duty and value-added tax. The amount you pay will depend on the value of the vehicle and the country it was imported from.

Once you have paid the taxes, you will be able to register your vehicle and obtain license plates. You will also need to obtain insurance for your vehicle.

For more information on importing a car, please visit the website of the Bureau of Customs.

How to Obtain a Driving License

If you are an expat and you want to drive in Sweden, you will need to obtain a Swedish driving license. You will first have to take a driving theory test, which consists of 30 multiple-choice questions.

You will then need to pass a practical driving test, which will test your ability to drive safely and obey traffic laws. This test consists of two parts: a city driving portion and a highway driving portion.

After you have passed the practical driving test, you will be issued a temporary driving license. This license is valid for two years, during which time you must complete a minimum number of driving hours.

If you fail to do so, you will have to retake the practical driving test.

How to buy a car in Sweden?

Buying a car in Sweden as an expat is not much different than buying a car in any other country. You will need to have a valid driver’s license, a form of identification, and enough money to pay for the car. The process of buying a car usually goes like this:

1. Find a car that you like and contact the seller.

2. Schedule a time to see the car and test drive it.

3. If you decide to buy the car, negotiate a price with the seller.

4. Make sure that the car has a valid MOT (Swedish equivalent of an inspection) and that it is insured.

5. Pay for the car and register it in your name.

From start to finish, the process of buying a car in Sweden should take no more than a few days.

How to Lease a Car

If you are an expat and you want to lease a car in Sweden, there are a few things you need to know. First, you will need to obtain a carnet de passage en douane, which is a certificate of temporary importation. This certificate allows you to bring your car into Sweden for up to one year. You can get this certificate from the Swedish embassy or consulate in your home country.

Once you have the carnet de passage en douane, you will need to find a leasing company that operates in Sweden. There are many international leasing companies that have operations in Sweden, so finding one should not be difficult. Once you have found a company, you will need to fill out an application and provide them with the carnet de passage en douane.

Once your application has been approved, you will sign a lease agreement with the company. The agreement will outline the terms of the lease, such as the length of the lease, the monthly payments, and any other conditions. Make sure that you understand all of the terms of the agreement before you sign it.

After you have signed the lease agreement, you will need to register your car in Sweden.


In conclusion, I would like to thank you for reading this article. I hope it has answered some of your questions about how to import a car into Sweden.

Latest posts by Ludvig Hoel (see all)