Diaper Buying Guide 101: How to Pick the Perfect Diaper for My Baby?July 20, 2020
For countless Scandinavian parents, baby diapers are a valuable commodity. In fact, they are so important that the baby diaper industry in Sweden is worth $152 million in 2020. By 2023, the market is estimated to grow by 1.7% every year.
The question is, how can you pick the perfect diaper for your baby? With so many products on the market, it’s hard to make the right pick, especially when you have to think about the budget, size, or products in stock.
Well, we decided to show you the ropes. That’s why we prepared the ultimate diapers buying guide that will help you pick out diapers like a pro! So, let’s get right to it.
Disposable Vs. Cloth Diapers
The first thing you might be wondering is whether to go for the cloth or disposable pieces. While the cloth diapers were a popular choice back in the day, disposable products quickly took over the market when they first came out. If you want to know the benefits to each of them, you’ve come to the right place. Here are a few pros and cons that can help you decide.
When to Consider Purchasing a Cloth Diaper?
- Limited Budget – Buying cloth diapers will save you 40% of your income. Without a doubt, cloth diapers are the perfect option for saving money. You can wash them and reuse them, which will give you plenty of versatility. You just buy them once, and you are good to go.
- Washing & Cleaning – If you prefer to wash your own diapers to avoid any skin irritants, cloth diapers are an excellent product. However, you will be spending your valuable time on washing, drying, and ironing the diaper.
- Eco-friendly – If you want to take care of the environment, the cloth diapers are the way to go. They won’t end up in a landfill and are bio-degradable. With them, you reduce the environmental impact.
When to Consider Purchasing a Disposable Diaper?
- Limited Time – Not everyone has the time to do the laundry every single day. Disposable diapers make the whole process a lot easier. You just use them, throw them away, and apply new ones. Practical, convenient, and fast.
- Excellent for travel – If you need to change the nappies on the go, the disposable option is the ideal choice. You carry it around with you and dispose of it when it gets dirty.
- Busy Parents/Caregivers – There is no learning curve with disposable diapers. You just follow the instructions and change the diapers in no-time. There is no washing, cleaning, or ironing when working with disposable diapers. It’s great for anyone on a busy schedule.
How to Choose the Ideal Diaper Size?
There is a lot of thinking that goes into sizing. The good thing is, sizing is not as complex as you might imagine. Buying diapers is exactly the same as buying baby clothes. The only difference is the brand.
For newborns, you have typical 1-6 sizes. But, there are companies that sell custom made preemies for older children as well. You can check out the Norwegian shop Toybleier if you want to buy diapers online. To know the right size, the diaper has to be a perfect fit.
Here are a few tips that can help you get the hang of it.
- The diaper should be positioned just below the belly button.
- There shouldn’t be any gaps between the cuffs and the baby’s bottom.
- Once you fasten the diaper, check if it’s too tight. Place two fingers around the waist. They should move around with ease.
- There shouldn’t be any red markings once you remove the diaper.
Note: If you notice red marks, tightness, or gaps, change the diaper size. Otherwise, the diaper will leak.
What Diaper Should I Pick for My Baby?
Babies are constantly growing. The more they grow, the faster you will need to adjust to their diaper’s needs. Here are a couple of things to consider when choosing the diapers.
- Newborns: Babies who’ve just been born have very soft and delicate skin. For them, you will need to get super-absorbent diapers with a soft surface. The product shouldn’t rub against the stump of the umbilical cord.
- Growing toddlers: For a baby that wiggles a lot, you need comfort and convenience. Pick the diapers that are perfect for crawling and can handle dry skin.
As you can see, there is a lot that goes on to picking out the perfect diaper. But, now that you know exactly what you are looking for, you will have an easier time buying the most comfortable diaper you need. The trick is to figure out the right sizing and material. Once you get that, you will be fully prepared for any situation. Did you find our guide helpful? Share the article with your friends and family.