The gaming industry is on the rise across the globe, and Scandinavia isn’t an exception. Just as you’d expect from Scandinavian countries – they do it with style, attention to detail, and carefully nurture and develop their gaming scene.
In fact, some of the most popular games in the world, such as Minecraft, Candy Crush Saga, and Battlefield, come from Scandinavia. Sweden, to be more precise. Norway is no stranger to popular games, either. Age of Conan: Rise of the Godslayer, Anarchy Online, and others are works of popular Norwegian developers. Read more on Gaming Nyheter (Gaming News).
Sweden rank the highest
When it comes to the gaming scene, side-by-side, Sweden is far superior. While around 600 people are working as game developers in Norway, that number reaches 7900 in Sweden and 3200 in Finland (although not a Scandinavian country technically).
However, the expansion of gaming culture in Scandinavia is evident, and multiple factors could play a role. Some of them include:
- Tech evolution
- Kids have plenty of Scandinavian gamers to look up to, including Patrik “f0rest” Lindberg, Jonathan “Loda” Berg, Zainab “zAAz” Turkie, etc.
- More and more people watch eSports events, e.g., Sweden is the second biggest market for eSports consumption in Europe, Norway is 10th, and other Nordic countries rank high as well, including Denmark third and Finland sixth.
- Scandinavia is home to popular DreamHack, founded in Sweden, a popular host of eSports tournaments and digital festivals.
Although Sweden is a frontrunner, Norway is also making substantial success in the gaming industry. It all comes down to Scandinavian preference for good organization and quality. They focus on making technically competent and well-designed games and products, so that esthetics and technology create a perfect symbiosis.
The expansion is imminent
In the near future, we can expect even further expansion of the gaming scene in Scandinavia, especially because these countries rank high in terms of the popularity of eSports.
When it comes to gaming culture, it’s impossible not to mention some of the most popular game developers in this part of the world. They include DICE, creator of Battlefield and Mirror’s Edge. MachineGames is yet another important game developer, and they’re behind the Wolfenstein series about Nazis and the New Order.
Online casinos are also popular in both Scandinavia and Norway. The popular developer of online casinos for both the Swedish and Norwegian markets is Yggdrasil.
The ever-growing evolution of technology, increased public interest, popular players, and developers are some of the many reasons for the expansion of gaming culture in Scandinavia. Both Sweden and Norway also have support schemes to encourage game development.
- Strømming utgjør en alt større del av TV-markedet i Skandinavia og Norge - May 4, 2021
- Tren utendørs – og nyt den nydelige norske naturen - April 29, 2021
- Hva kan du kjøpe med bitcoin? - April 27, 2021